Affordable housing and much more
UAACOG, offers a wide variety of programs to help individuals with their housing needs.
- Home Improvement Loan (0% interest and deferred based on income)
- Section 8 Rental Assistance
- Housing Counseling and Education
- Housing Navigation
- Self-Help Housing
The Home Improvement Program (Housing Rehab)
This program provides affordable loans for low-income homeowners living in Fremont, Chaffee, Lake, Custer, Park, or Teller counties. The loans are provided to repair owner-occupied homes. UAACOG partners with the Colorado Division of Housing and the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program to provide assistance to homeowners. Types of housing problems we can help with:
- Leaking roof
- Electrical & heating systems and energy efficiency upgrades
- Plumbing system including leaking water lines and septic
- Interior issues including sagging floors and cracking or peeling paint
- Fire Mitigation
- Crumbling Foundation Exterior/Interior Deterioration
- Handicapped Accessibility
- Other safety concerns
Section 8 Rental Assistance
- Offers rental and utility assistance for qualified individuals in Chaffee, Custer, Fremont, Huerfano, Lake, Park, and Teller Counties.
- The goal of Section 8’s Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program is to assist Section 8 participants to become economically self-sufficient and independent of government and community assistance programs. UAACOG’s FSS program is designed to coordinate rental assistance with public and private sector resources in order to help participants achieve their goals and become self-sufficient.
Housing and Financial Counseling Programs
UAACOG is a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Certified Housing Counseling Agency offering counseling and education in the following areas:
- Pre-Purchase (Homebuyer) Counseling and Education
- Post-Purchase (Homeowner) Counseling
- ID Theft Prevention and Recovery Counseling and Education
- Foreclosure Prevention Counseling
- Credit/Budget (Financial) Counseling and Education
The Housing Counseling Program serves Chaffee, Custer, Fremont, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Lake, Park, Rio Grande, Saguache, and Teller Counties. Please click on the links below for additional information on housing counseling and becoming a homeowner.
Self Help Housing
Take your step towards the American Dream of homeownership today!
In this program, participants contribute significant “sweat equity” towards the construction of their homes, bringing down development costs and producing a more affordable home. Each family contributes a minimum number of hours of labor per week towards the homes until all houses in the cohort are done and ready to move in. This program helps make housing affordable. A construction supervisor helps the homeowners with construction guidance and coordinates all aspects of the build.
Call UAACOG and ask to speak to someone in the housing department about the Self-Help Program.
On January 6th, 2023, three homes in Canon City began construction at 821, 839 & 841 N Raynolds Ave!
Our Housing Navigator program is designed to help those who are currently, or imminently about to experience homelessness. Our Housing Navigators will work with individuals through the application process, partner with landlords to ensure a good fit and relationship between landlord and tenant, and help you overcome some systemic barriers to housing.